The Keene Public Library’s Learning Connection Homework Center started with funding through a Community Youth Profile Grant provided by the Cheshire County Commissioners. The project has continued with support by the Friends of the Keene Public Library and the Keene Public Library Endowment Fund.
In 2009, the library jrecruited a Vista Member whose primarily responsibility is to outreach to the schools and to develop academic enrichment programs at the library.The Homework Center . . .
• Provides quality after school homework help for children and youth off all ages.
• Provides library instruction to groups of children either in the libray or in the class room..
• Develops students' capacities as independent learners.
• Reaches out to families and the larger community as an extension of regular library services and has the flexibility to vary and respond to local community needs.
• Has a well-trained and responsive group of volunteers and staff members.
• Provides an opportunity for positive youth development (building academic, employment, and interpersonal skills) for teen volunteer Reading Buddies and Homework Pals.
If you want to find out more about the library’s Homework Center or if you’d like to apply as a Homework Center volunteer, please call the library at (603) 757-1856. Ask to speak to Gail Zachariah or Christina Giorgio.